Saturday, 17 December 2011

Newark Town 1-2 Basford United - CML South

Checked with Traveline and found it is cheaper to travel by train direct to Collingham from Nottingham (£6 day return), rather than go by bus via Newark -£9 return. Newark Town groundshare with Collingham FC and the ground is on Station Road, just 200 yards from the train station.

Newark Town have been based at Collingham for the last six seasons,the village is six miles north of Newark.The ground has floodlights with hard standing behind one goal and along the front of the clubhouse and changing room complex. At present there is cover at the front of the clubhouse and there is a small stand adjacent to the clubhouse.

The home side started the stronger and in the early stages were putting in plenty of crosses to test the Basford defence. On eight minutes Newark's Zico Grinion worked the ball into the Basford area and a low struck effort hit the base of the post before going out for a goalkick. Carl Westcarr should have put Basford ahead against the run of play on fifteen minutes. Basford new boy Darren Garmston won a strong header and Westcarr ran free towards goal but too hard contact with the ball gave the keeper time to clear. After this Basford were more of an attacking force and Courtney Hasting in particular was causing problems for Newark along the right wing.

On twentyseven minutes the Newark keeper pulled off a great reaction save when Westcarr shot from close range and four minutes later with Newark shouting for offside Westcarr had an effort from eighteen yards go wide of the upright. Basford went a goal up on thirtytwo minutes when a superb volley from Cashell Walters thundered into the back of the Newark goal. Garmston was the man who supplied Walters with a fine cross from the right wing. Basford increased the pressure on the home goal and from a corner on thirtyseven minutes the visitors were two goals up. I was slightly unsighted but it looked like Carl Westcarr headed into the net after the keeper had attempted to parry the ball clear from the corner. Newark had time just before halftime to threaten the Basford goal through Zico Grinnion. His low goalbound effort was saved by the diving Andy Fretwell.

From the re start Newark threatened the visitors goal and Ricky Brewer unleashed a rocket of a shot that flew in giving Fretwell no chance from twenty yards out. The Newark pressure continued for a further twenty minutes but the Basford defence held firm. Basford were relying on breakaways with Westcarr and Hastings waiting for the long clearances. Both Westcarr and Hastings created chances but there was little support for them upfront. Newark's Ellison beat the shouts for offside on seventy eight minutes and ran free towards the Basford goal but the full backs shot was well saved by Andy Fretwell. The final ten minutes saw the home side throw caution to the wind to find an equaliser and they should have scored but for a fantastic tip over save from Andy Fretwell from a far post header in the last minute. FT 1-2

No comments:

Post a Comment