Wednesday, 28 March 2012

Mickleover RBL 5-1 Chellaston (MRA Premier League)

Mickleover Royal British Legion FC were formed in 1967. The first team currently play in the Midland Regional Alliance Division One, whilst the Reserve Team play in Division Two. In 1983-84 they were Founder members of Central Midlands League. In seasons 1989-90 and 1990-91 they were Central Midlands League Premier Division Champions. In 2001 they Left the  Central Midlands League to join the Derby based Midland Regional Alliance.

From Nottingham Victoria Red Arrow buses leave every 10-20 minutes to Derby bus station. From Derby bus station a Mickleover Red stops near or a Mickleover Blue stops outside the British Legion. Cross over and go up to the end of Poppyfield Drive and you see the RBL and pitch alongside. The pitch is surrounded on three sides with white metal barriers, the fourth side behind the goal has hedgeing. There is a small section of hard standing infront of the clubhouse and all along the dugout side opposite. There is also a small covered stand close to the dugouts. On the first floor of the RBL is a bar and balcony area overlooking the pitch.

The visitors were first when it came to goalscoring opportunities when their right back fired in a shot that was tipped over by the RBL keeper.From the resulting corner an overhead kick flew just wide. Both sides were guilty of not putting their foot on the ball and lots of high and long balls were evident. Slightly against the run of play Mickleover took the lead. A Chellaston midfielder booted a high ball back to his keeper, the ball rebounded off the keepers chest to a RBL striker who blasted the ball into the net. After the goal there wasn't much between the sides up to the half time whistle.

Both sides were playing the ball on the ground in the second half. Five minutes in Mickleover hit the post but ten minutes later from a direct free kick on the edge of the 18 yard area the ball ended up in the top right hand corner of the goal. A couple of minutes later the Chellaston keeper sliced a clearance to the corner of his area and the ball was vollied back forcing him into a good save. On seventy minutes Chellaston pulled a goal back. From a freekick out wide the ball was flicked on to the far post where the centre forward prodded the ball into the net to make it 2-1. Mickleover responded well and were now passing the ball and creating more chances. A surging run from midfield led to a pass across the 18 yard area for a forward to strike the ball home 3-1.

Chellaston's centre forward saw a sweet volley heading for the top corner of the Mickleover goal saved by the keeper, and on 80 minutes Chellastons number 11 beat several players, run into the area and lay the ball off for a team mate who blasted wide. Five minutes from time Mickleover made the game safe after a long ball played up to the left wing was crossed in and finished from twelve yards out 4-1. Chellastons misery was complete on 90 minutes after Mickleover cleared the ball upfield. The substitute chipped the keeper from 25 yards out, the ball hit the bar and landed inside the goal.

No comments:

Post a Comment