Sunday, 16 September 2012

Radford 0-2 Long Eaton Utd (FA Vase)

It was a thoroughly entertaining game on Saturday and despite the gap in leagues it was an even contest. Radford in Sky Blue shirts were the first side to have a shot on goal when Bernado Alves jinked and weaved and sent in a shot from 18 yards, but there was no power in his effort and the keeper saved easily. Martins Apenitis in the Radford goal did well when he finger tipped the ball out for a corner when a dangerous free kick was heading for goal. Minutes later Apenitis pulled off a great save after Matt Savage had been put through. When a Radford corner had been cleared Richard Dean sent in a rasping drive that hit the Long Eaton crossbar before going out for a goalkick.

Matt Savage broke the deadlock on 33 minutes for Long Eaton, the ball was played wide to the left winger Danny Gordon and he sent over a superb low cross into the box and Savage finished from close range. Radford fought back and a Adam Mahl header was just wide of an upright. A Kevin Lusamba cross found Michael Allen free in the visitors box but his header was saved by Scott Miles.
The game continued at a fast pace in the second half and after a period of Radford pressure Long Eaton broke forward and nearly got a second goal but a shot from 20 yards hit the Radford post. The visitors went close to scoring on 72 minutes when Savage was on the end of a cross but he shot well over from close range. Good work between Radford strikers Alves and Derby led to Richard Derby running free into the Long Eaton area but the striker put in a weak shot that was easily saved.

Eight minutes from full time Long Eaton went 2-0 up after a free kick was floated over and Shaun Rickford raced in to score from close range. Radford fought to pull a goal back in the remaining minutes but it was not to be and Long Eaton United progress into the First Round proper of the FA Vase.

                             Click on photo for larger view

No comments:

Post a Comment