Saturday, 13 October 2012

Thoresby CW 1-2 Harworth CI CML North

Thoresby Colliery Welfare Football Club were formed in 1930, initially playing on a farmers field in Edwinstowe. The 1950’s saw success at minor level, capturing the Nottinghamshire Junior Cup, despite being drawn away from home in every round. Major success at a senior level did not arrive until the late 1970's in the form of the Notts Alliance Senior League Cup. In the 1980/81 season Welfare became the nearly men, finishing runners up in the Notts Alliance Senior League by a single point, and losing the Nottinghamshire Senior Cup Final to Rainworth by a solitary penalty. Following relegation from the Notts Alliance Senior Division, and a general downturn in the Club's fortunes, the Club's management committee decided that it was time for the club to try and move forward with a move onto the football ladder into the Central Midlands Football League, where they remain to this day.

I got the Sherwood Arrow bus from Nottingham Victoria, a day ticket is £5.50. I got off at Edwinstowe Fire Station and walked back 100 yards and turned right into Fourth Avenue. Walking along Fourth Avenue to the very end will bring you to the ground. Thoresby had a very good side last season and were the visitors at Dronfield when I saw the best game of last season. But at the start of this season the Manager and his assistant left, many players have departed and they no longer have a reserve side.

I stood with The Chairman of the Central Midlands League for most of the first half. He was cheering on his Son who was playing for Harworth CI. The visitors, wearing Orange, had the best possible start when they took the lead in the first minute. The ball was played to the edge of the Thoresby 18 yard box and Tom Pick was allowed space to turn and shoot in one movement and sweep the ball past the Thoresby keeper. Thoresby came close to being two goals down when a poor back pass was intercepted by Paul Burns but his chip over the keeper went wide of the goal. Harworth were grateful for their keeper when he made two crucial saves on 18 and 22 minutes. On 36 minutes Thoresbys keeper saved at the feet of a striker when it looked odds on he was bound to score. Harworth were marginally the better side and went 2-0 up just before halftime when Gareth Sides headed home from a corner.

Thoresby rallied for the second half and came back at Harworth playing some good passing football. Josh Bretnall Thoresbys centre forward was making some good runs but his timing was slightly off, being caught offside on several occasions. Both keepers were busy early in the half. Harworths keeper was forced to the edge of his area to block a shot in the 55th minute but a minute later Thoresby pulled a goal back. The ball was flighted into the Harworth area, the keeper and a defender both shouted for the ball but the ball fell to Thoresbys Josh Bretnall who made no mistake from 15 yards. Thoresby were now creating the better chances, Bretnall played in the substitute giving him a great opportunity but the ball was blasted wide of the goal. Although dominating the game for the final period Thoresby couldnt add to their goal and Harworth took all three points.


No comments:

Post a Comment