Sunday, 17 February 2013

Gedling MW 2-1 Radford (EMCL 16-02-13)

Hopes were high on Saturday as Radford took the field. They had been playing well in their last few games while Gedling had been on a long stretch without a win. The home side took the initiative in the early stages forcing three corners in the first five minutes. Both teams were having trouble keeping the ball. Poor ball control and passing was making the game very scrappy.

Around the twenty minute mark Gedling were getting the better of midfield. Jarrod Westcarr crossed for Ben Middleton but his reaction was slow and Radfords defence were able to clear. Four minutes later Middleton missed with a free header when he was found unmarked in the box from a Felix Hogg cross. The reprieve was shortlived. The ball was flicked over the Radford defence Westcarr shrugged off Adam Mahl to run on and score.

It took just two minutes for Radford to equalise. A Jahred Russell corner found Adam Mahl who headed in from 12 yards. On 32 minutes Gedling re-took the lead. There seemed to be no problem when Michael Coyle recieved the ball at his feet at the centre of Radfords defence but poor control led to Jarrod Westcarr robbing him and running on to slot the ball past Jon Caunt in the Radford goal. Just before half time Radford had a chance of an equaliser, Michael Allen took advantage of a mistake in Gedlings defence. Unfortunately for Radford his hastilly taken shot went a foot wide of the goal.

Radford brought on Louis Ratcliffe for Jahred Russell at the start of the second half and his pace and willing to take players on began to cause problems. The quality of both sides football didn't improve in the second half. Gedling Miners nearly stretched their lead on 65 minutes when a quickly taken free-kick found Ashley Whitt whose shot flew just wide of the Radford goal.

For the last twenty minutes Radford were the better side. On 75 minutes Louis Ratcliffe cut inside from the wing, beat two players before unleashing a 20 yard shot that flew a foot over the Gedling crossbar. It wasn't until the third minute of time added on that it looked as though Radford would find an equaliser. The ball was played into the Gedling area to Michael Allen who looked to be brought down but the Referee waived play on, the ball fell to Tom Tyler and his shot hit the post and rebounded to safety. Seconds later the whistle sounded for full-time.

No comments:

Post a Comment