Thursday, 12 January 2012

Southwell City 1-3 Pinxton, CML Floodlit Cup

Southwell City 1-3 Pinxton (7.45pm)
Windsor Food Services Central Midlands League
Phoenix trophies Floodlit Cup

I caught the Pathfinder 100 bus  at 6pm from King Street, Nottingham. A day return ticket is £5 to Southwell and the journey is about 1 hour. Get off the bus at the last stop on  Nottingham road, Southwell and cross the road and walk up Westgate turning right towards the Reindeer pub. On the opposite side of the road of the Reindeer walk up 100 yards and turn right on Bishop Drive, at the end of this road is Memorial Grounds and SCFC.
£3 entrance if you want to pay (public park)
£1 programme - some blank pages stapled together, not good
Excellent clubhouse and bar but £1.20 for a tiny cob with see through ham and 50p coffee
The pitch was in good condition and the floodlights bright. The clubhouse and changing rooms are situated 30 yards behind a goal. to the left side of the pitch are positioned the wheelie dugouts and behind them a small brook. Behind the goal at the far side is a childrens play area and along the right hand side is a raised bank for a good view and tennis courts and changing rooms. The pitch is surrounded by temporary rope fencing without hard standing. The only cover is a canopy at the front of the clubhouse.
Plenty of endevour in the early stages with the game played mostly in midfield. My first view of Southwell this season, I was impressed with their effort and skill level. Had to wait until the 22nd minute for the first real chance of a goal. Pinxton took a quick freekick 30 yards out, the home defence was caught flat footed but the keeper was alert to the danger and was quick to smother at the feet of the on rushing striker. Southwell went upfield  from the keepers clearance to threaten the Pinxton goal with three successive corners. Wayne Cooke was causing problems for Southwell and on 36 minutes he laid the ball back from the bye line for Ben Moore to tap home from close range. Grant Blackhurst came close to equalising for Southwell when a run into the Pinxton area ended with a cross-shot  going just past the post. With half time approaching it looked as if Pinxton had gone two nil up but the linesmans flag was raised for offside.
At the start of the second half the home side were having joy along their left wing and Pinxtons keeper had to make a great reaction save when a cross found Sam Betts with a close range effort. As the hour point of the game approached Pinxton began to dominate the game. The Southwell keeper had to dive low to his right to save a free kick and 3 minutes later he was beaten by a Ben Moore penalty after the referee had spotted a handball in the area. Craig Merrett unleashed a thunderbolt effort from 25 yards for  Pinxton which hit the underside of the bar and two more long range efforts flew marginally over minutes later. Southwell had a breakaway goal against the run of play and Sam Betts lobbed  the Pinxton keeper to pull one back for the home side. Pinxton's Aaron Brady forced the keeper to make a good save low down near his far post ten minutes from time and later the striker got on the scoresheet with a well struck effort after a long ball over the top of the defence found him. FT 1-3

After the game I went to the Crown Hotel for a drink, just up the road from Southwell minster. Had a pint of Marstons EPA at £3 a pint, very refreshing. Caught the 10.19pm bus to Nottingham from outside the minster.

No comments:

Post a Comment