Tuesday, 24 January 2012

Radford 2-1 Ellistown. EMCL

It is easier to get to Radfords ground by tram from Nottingham Market Square than travel by bus. Trams are every 10 minutes and a return is £3.40, a £3.70 Kangaroo ticket allows travel on the Tram, Trent and Nottingham City buses. Catch any tram to Beaconsfield Street. When you get off walk back from the direction the tram came and turn right onto Berridge Road Central. At the end of this road turn left onto Radford Road and after 100 yards cross the road and go down Selhurst Street to the ground. The return tram leaves from Radford Road, near the ASDA superstore.
Entrance £4, Concessions £2.50, Programme £1
Bovril 50p, Tea 60p, Coffee 70p, Chips £1, Chip cob £1.50
I like the compact Radford FC ground, it’s unusual to find many grounds in such a built up enviroment like this. Sorry to see them struggling near the bottom of the league but Ellistown are down there with them so a fight for the points was guaranteed. The pitch was sticky after several hours of rain, Radford wearing their claret shirts kicked off attacking the clubhouse end. Not a lot between the sides early in the game but on 9 minutes Carl Benson hit a cross shot that flew marginally wide for Ellistown. Nick Labbate recieved a pass across the 18 yard area on 13 minutes and the winger hit a superb rising shot into the net for Radford giving the keeper no chance. 1-0. Paul Madeley in the Ellistown goal pulled off a great save to deny Radford’s Scott Peach from the corner of the 18 yard area as Radford tested the visitors defence. Just before half time Nick Labbate went on a mazy run down the left wing, he nutmegged the full back and sent over an inviting cross into the corridor of uncertainty. HT 1-0.
The heavens opened as the second half began and Ellistown’s Madeley was forced to tip over a rising shot eight minutes in. Ellistown had several chances around the hour mark. A cross into the area was headed wide, a rising volley from 18 yards flew over and a 25 yard screamer was wide of the upright. Midway into the half the Referee had to have a word with Ellistown’s Sam Saunt who was complaining that Radford were getting all the decisions. Nick Labbate hit a tame effort which was easily saved by the keeper and Scott Peach was adjudged offside as Radford fought back. In the 77th minute the ball was crossed into the Radford area, the ball was cleared, but from 25 yards out Carl Benson volleyed the ball back, past the keeper and high into the net. 1-1. A minute after the restart Radford regained the lead. The ball was pumped forward from defence and Adam Walsh fed Nick Labbate who chipped the Ellistown keeper. 2-1. Ellistown fought back but a great cross from the wing was headed into the Radford keepers arms. A minute from full time Ellistown’s Sam Saunt was shown the red card after he pushed a Radford player into the hoardings. There was five minutes of time added on, Ellistown fought bravely but couldn't find an equaliser. FT 2-1.  


No comments:

Post a Comment