Saturday, 8 December 2012

Radford Res 3-1 Heanor Town Res CML Res Supreme

 A good overall team performance paid its dividends with a 3-1 victory. Radford were playing some good possession football in the early stages but it wasn't until the 13th minute when Radford had the first shot on goal. Matt Wheat fed Adam Pemberton but his weak effort was easily saved by the keeper. Radfords Sherif Babatunde was giving Heanor's left back problems with his pace and after Mark Thomas set him free on the wing, one of his crosses found Matt Wheat just outside the Heanor area but his shot flew miles over. In the 18th minute Radford came close to opening the scoring when a long ball found Samir Boulghassoul but the keeper did well to save his goalbound effort.

Heanor had their first strike on goal on 25 minutes. Andreas Kokkinov went on a mazy run across the Radford 18 yard box before laying the ball off for Josh Henrys to force the keeper into a great save. Three minutes later Heanor's Jack Smith was denied by another great save when the ball was heading for the corner of the goal. Soon Radford were on the attack through Sherif Babatunde. The left winger did the hard work by beating two defenders in the area, but there wasn't much power in his shot and the keeper saved. A couple of minutes later Radford took the lead when Babatunde crossed for Adam Pemberton to sweep the ball in from 12 yards out.

Radford started the second half on the attack and after forcing a series of corners Richard Johnson was on hand to get Radfords second goal when he bundled the ball in from close range. Five minutes later it was 3-0, Michael Coyle headed in from a Matt Wheat free kick. It looked as if Radford were sure to add to the three already scored on the hour when Samir Boulghassoul was sent through on goal, but he shot wide. Heanor came forward on 68 minutes and the referee awarded the visitors a penalty for handball. Luke Duerden took the spotkick and blasted it into the centre of the goal as the keeper dived to his right.

Although Heanor were pressing for a short period, Radford held firm and Carl Shepherd & Michael Coyle in particular were impressive. Dominic Leivers and Richard Johnson were working hard in midfield and Ryan Silverton was looking good when he came on as a substitute. As full time approached Radford had a golden opportunity to score a fourth goal. A ball over the top found Babatunde he crossed low into the area and Jubril Yusuf  blasted over from close range.

Click on photo for larger view

No comments:

Post a Comment