Tuesday, 17 April 2012

AFC Hucknall 5-2 Sutton Town (CML South)

AFC were formed in 2004 under their original name of Seven Stars Football Club. They started out in the Mansfield & District Sunday League, before a change of name to AFC Hucknall and a move to the Nottingham Combination in 2006 and a home venue of the Goosedale Sports Ground in Bestwood Village. In the summer of 2010,  AFC Hucknall Town joined the Central Midlands League. The club play at the home ground of Hucknall Town Football Club, and wear the same colours.

A Trent Barton bus 3, 3a or 3b will drop you at the Yew tree pub in Hucknall. Cross to the other side of Portland road and get a Connect (Blue) bus, this will drop you off across the road from the Hucknall Town FC ground. Return buses leave from outside the ground.

Not much between the sides territory wise in the early stages but Sutton Town were awarded a penalty for handball seven minutes into the game. Up stepped the centre forward and his spotkick hit the right hand post before ending up in the net. Spurred on by the goal Sutton went for a second, and a ball over the top of the Hucknall defence found a Sutton forward, but his effort hit the top of the crossbar before going out for a goalkick. Hucknall improved and their speedy attack was causing Sutton's defence problems. After 25 minutes the home side found an equaliser, A player was allowed to turn and shoot in one motion and beat the keeper from 15 yards out. Two minutes later AFC Hucknall took the lead. A quick break and cross into the area saw two AFC Hucknall players have a shot on goal before it was third time lucky as a striker put them 2-1 up.

The lead wasn't to last long though, Sutton's big centre half jumped unchallenged in Hucknall's area to head in the equaliser. From the restart Hucknall got themselves a corner and when the ball was crossed into the box another unchallenged header found the back of the net. HT 3-2

Three minutes into the half and a speculative shot from wide on the right wing sailed over the Sutton keeper and into the net. Although it was now 4-2 to Hucknall there wasn't much between the sides and Sutton were creating lots of chances in an end to end game. Like Hucknall in the first half, three Sutton players had a shot at goal in a goalmouth scramble, but Hucknall kept the ball out of the net. The Sutton keeper tipped over a goalbound effort and Hucknall's keeper dived to save a freekick from outside the area and then a follow up shot. There were plenty more chances for both sides but as the game was in its dying embers AFC Hucknall managed to score in the final minute of the game. FT 5-2

No comments:

Post a Comment