Saturday, 21 April 2012

Selston 1-5 Awsworth Villa (NSL Senior Division)

Selston FC was formed in 1968 and played it's early football in the Alfreton & District Sunday League. In the late 80's with the ambition to progress, the club decided to concentrate on Saturday football and joined the Central Midlands Football League. In season 1990-91 the first team won the C.M.L Division One Cup. The 1993-94 season saw the senior side playing in the Midlands Regional Alliance and winning the division one title. The club returned to the Central Midlands Football League in the 1997-98 season. 1998-99 Season saw the senior side promoted to the Supreme Division, and they also reached the final of the Wakefield Floodlit Cup. At the end of season 2002-03 the first team were disbanded to concentrate on the development of youth football.

Season 2006-07 saw senior football return to Selston FC with a Saturday side competing in the Midlands Regional Alliance. Season 2007-08 saw SFC progress again, the Saturday senior side romped home in division 2 of the MRA finishing 13 points clear of second place. They also won the MRA league cup, trouncing MRA division 1 champs 8-2. Recent season have seen the club progress through the Notts Senior League to the Premier Division and last week the reserves won the Notts Junior Cup.

The Rainbow One Trent Barton bus heading for Alfreton leaves from Nottingham Victoria once per hour and stops at Lea Lane Selston. Walk back fifty yards from the bus stop and cross over and walk up Mansfield Road. Walk past the Selston Parish Hall and the entrance to the ground is next left. Opposite the Pavillion is the cricket pitch and the football pitch is on the other side. The cricket pitch side is roped off, but the other three sides have white metal fencing. There is hard standing behind the goal to the right on a slightly raised bank. On the far side there is hard standing and a covered stand as well as the two dugouts. Behind the left goal is a small non hard standing area.

Awsworth were wearing their red and white shirts and were immediately on the attack. Selston were having a problem keeping possession and fell behind 8 minutes into the game when a crossfield ball found Awsworth's Danny Chambers, his marker slipped and he raced on and slid the ball past the Selston keeper. Awsworth's John Hughes was lucky to escape a Red card on 17 minutes when a two footed challenge brought down the Selston right back Ben Griffiths. The referee was very generous in just giving him a caution. Awsworth went 2-0 up halfway into the first half when a header was flicked on for Luke Davies to run on and beat the keeper from 15 yards. A minute later and Awsworth scored their third. The ball was played wide, the Selston left back Ryan Kemp was beaten for pace and a shot across the face of the goal flew past the keeper and into the bottom right hand side of the goal. In time added on in the first half a fine solo effort from Selson's Ben Small gave the home side some hope for the second half.

Two minutes into the second half saw Awsworth's Kieran Saxton played through but his finish went two yards over the crossbar. The same player was guilty of another wasted opportunity but Danny Chambers took his chance to make it four for Awsworth. From the restart Selston went forward and Awsworth had to clear off the line. It was 5-1 to the visitors soon after when Danny Chambers sent over a cross for Luke Henson to score. Selston's keeper Jake Simpson made two more excellent saves before the game was to end. The Coach of Selston gave his players a round of abuse after the game for their lack of effort. FT 1-5.

No comments:

Post a Comment