Tuesday, 10 April 2012

Cotgrave MW 3-4 Attenborough ( NSL Senior Division)

Football in Cotgrave started around 1946 when Cotgrave FC were formed. They entered  the Notts Realm League and then after the Notts & District League. The opening of the colliery in 1968 was when the welfare team first appeared. The two teams merged in 1983 to form Cotgrave United FC. After a few league and name changes they entered the Notts Senior League in 2004 and were League Champions in their first season.

The Cotgrave connection bus from Broad Marsh Bus Station in Nottingham will drop you off outside the Welfare on Woodview, Cotgrave. The pitch was in excellent condition considering all of the rain we have had recently. There are four good quality floodlights and the pitch is surrounded on all four sides by metal barriers. The only hard standing is in front of the cafeteria and this is covered.

No programme but free admission. The sausage rolls were delicious and only 50p. Tea, Coffee and Bovril 60p.

Cotgrave were in an all Red strip and they were first to have a shot at goal, unfortunately for them it was a weak effort straight at the keeper. The visitors were in control in the early stages of the game and after a series of corners they took the lead. The ball was played through midfield and the Cotgrave centre half lost control of the ball, Attenborough's Paul Ison ran on and swept the ball past the keeper and into the net. Paul Ison was a thorn in Cotgrave's defence and after breaking through the back line he was fouled just outside the area. The resulting free kick was a yard wide of the upright.

Cotgrave went on the attack and twice within five minutes the Attenborough keeper saved goalbound efforts with his legs. Cotgrave were working hard to get back on terms and on 25 minutes Robinson was on the end of a long ball, he beat his marker and cooly placed the ball past the keeper. It was end to end stuff for the rest of the first half but there were no further goals, the teams going in at one all.

Seven minutes into the second half Attenborough worked a fine passing move to the edge of the area only to have a shot blasted high over the crossbar. Five minutes later Attenborough were awarded a penalty when the referee judged a last gasp tackle in the area to be a foul. Paul Ison made no mistake with the spot kick. Cotgrave got back level on 70 minutes when a move down the right wing was crossed into the box and tapped into the net. Ten minutes from time Attenborough took the lead for the third time. The ball was won in midfield, played wide to the right and crossed in, Paul Ison had a shot that was parried by the keeper but Steve Oldham was there to blast the rebound into the net.

A minute after the restart Attenborough went 4-2 up. Steve Oldham won a header that sent Paul Ison free, he raced into the area but was brought down before he could shoot. Ison scored from the penalty kick to get his hat-trick. With five minutes remaining Cotgrave pulled a goal back. Hesitation in the Attenborough defence allowed an unmarked Cotgrave striker space to sweep the ball into net. Cotgrave went in search of a fourth and came close in the final seconds of the game but the Attenborough keeper pulled off a great save. Full Time 3-4

No comments:

Post a Comment