Sunday, 13 November 2011

Ruddington Village 0-2 Kimberley MW NSL - Senior Division

Arrived in Rudd on the number 10 Nottm City transport bus at around noon. Buses leave outside 'Wilkinson's' on Parliament St every 10 minutes. Made my way firstly to the White Horse public house on Church street. Some interesting photographs showing old Ruddington teams in the bar . Four real ales were on offer- Merlins Oak (Brains) £3, Autumn Red (Caledonian) £3, Tribute (St Austell) £3 and Healy 3000 (Cottage Brewery) £2.90. Saw Nottingham born QPR player Shaun Derry outside the pub as I left. I think he was on his way to see Notts County.

Elm Park, the home of Ruddington is a short walk from the centre of the village. There was no programme produced but as it was a public park there was no entrance fee. Pretty basic playing area, the pitch is roped off with cricket pitch to one side and public footpath (hard standing) the other. Behind one goal there are the changing rooms and clubhouse and a kiddies playground. At the other end is an area of open space (30 foot) with a six foot hedge.

Kimberley got off to a great start in the fourth minute when Leon Allen lobbed the keeper from 30 yards out. This was just after the keeper had been forced to run out of his area to head the ball clear. Rudd were not phased by this early setback and were putting together some good passing moves but were being forced to shoot from long range. Kimberley have a very tall side and Ian Shepperd the captain is the tallest. He was Kimberleys play maker, conducting from midfield, and it was he who played in the Kimberley centre forward on the twenty minute mark, but the striker saw his shot hit the post and rebound into the keepers arms.

The first controversial moment in the game came nineteen minutes into the second half. The ball was booted over the Rudd defence, the Rudd keeper raced out of his area and in the movement to kick the ball clear crashed into the on rushing Kimberley forward. It looked bad. But he did get the ball first. Everyone with a Kimberley connection was screaming for a Red card. The keeper was carded but Yellow and Kimberley got a freekick which they wasted. Five minutes later Kimberley got their second goal. From the right wing a cross came in from the right full back and Ian Shepperd headed home from eight yards out. Rudd kept their heads up and played some of their best football after going Two goals behind and they had chances to score but the visitors held on to win.

No comments:

Post a Comment