Sunday, 13 November 2011

Radcliffe Olympic 0-1 Newark Town Notts Senior Cup 1st Round

£4 entry, £2 unemployed/OAP and children. Programme £1
No clubhouse or bar, just a Tea hut, no hot food just crisps and chocolate
Floodlights, hardstanding and small seated stand.

After travelling to Nottingham City centre on a Trent/Barton all day Zigzag ticket £4.90 I caught the Radcliffe Connection bus on Friar Lane at 18.10. The bus took 30 minutes to the Manvers Arms stop on the Main Street, Radcliffe on Trent. Walk back 100 yards from the direction the bus came and go up Wharf Lane. After two minutes walk you can see the Park where the football ground is sited. Dropped into the Manvers Arms for a pint of Jennings Cumberland £2.95 and very nice it was too. Also on offer was St Austell Tribute £3.05 and Deuchars £2.75.

I paid my entrance fee and sat in the stand as near as possible to the half way line. It is possible to view the game from the play area at the top of the hill but I like to be close to the action. Radcliffe are in the East Midlands Counties League (step 6) and Newark the Central Midlands League South (step 7). The visitors were playing the better football. Using the width of the field and playing quick ball to their speedy wingers. Newark got their breakthrough on 30 minutes through Mark Ellison. Zeko Grinnion cut in from the wing played the ball for Ellison who side stepped his marker and shot past the keeper.

The game was played in a good spirit with very few free-kicks. The home side looked like scoring two minutes into the second half. Smith beat the offside trap and raced free but his shot hit the side netting. Despite Newark looking lively and having the better of play Radcliffe created few chances and on 70 minutes a Radcliffe effort struck the post. On the 88th minute mark the home side worked a corner. The corner came across and while the ball was still in the air the Referee blew his whistle and awarded a penalty. I assume it was for a push. Liam Thompson stepped up, hit it low and hard and the keeper saved it. Two minutes later the game was over and Newark deservedly won the game.


No comments:

Post a Comment